Greenville Church History
One evening in the summer of the year 1915 in Greenville South Carolina the sound of vigorous singing was heard coming from the large tent pitched under the beautiful oak trees at the corner of main and north streets. And soon the strong voice of Elder Carlyle B. Haynes proclaimed to a waiting crowd the message of a soon coming savior. He was assisted in the meeting by Elder Walter Strickland. Greenville was a small town of only 16,000 but several eager seekers for the truth followed this new and compelling faith and baptized by Elder Haynes. They were organized into a Sabbath School and met for the very first time in October of that year in Cleveland Hall on the corner of Main Street, and McBee Avenue. Members who were present on that first Sabbath morning will recall that a circus parade marched by disturbing the calm of their first Sabbath together. Sacred services were held in Cleveland Hall for only a short time and then the congregation moved to the old Chicora College Auditorium. Next, they met in the Woodman Hall Mauldin building on the corner of Main and Washington Streets. Here the little Greenville church was officially organized in January of 1916. The Small remnant group outgrew its quarters and later that year purchased the little brown Presbyterian Church building on Hampton Avenue for its permanent home. The building consisted of an auditorium and two classrooms. It was remodeled and became a friendly place of worship for Greenville Adventist until 1940 when the present large commodious church was erected. Elder Everett L. Marley was the guiding force who together with the hardworking members built the present church at 1700 E. North Street. The present membership as of June 1966 is 171. Here follow the charter members of the little congregation.
Mrs. W.H. Huff, Mrs. Frances Coleman, Mrs. Janagan, Miss Athalia Mosley, Mr. and Mrs. J.T. Gilbert, Miss Ethel Hudson, Mrs. J.W. Goddard, Mrs. Metta Garraux, Mr. Helton, Mr. Pike, Mr. W.O. Coln, Mr. Perkle, Mrs. E.J. Hudson, Mr. Oliver Williams, and Mrs. E.A. Teal. And from this little church have gone forth 10 nurses, 1 medical technician, 1 dentist and 3 ordained ministers for the proclaiming of the gospel and to the greater glory of God.
About Seventh-day Adventists
Adventists believe a Trinity of three persons--the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit--make up one God. They made salvation possible when Jesus, the Son, came to earth as a baby in Bethlehem and lived a sinless life in accordance with the Father's will. When Jesus was crucified for the sins of the people of the world and arose from the dead on the third day, victory was won for everyone.
What Seventh-day Adventist Believe
As a Christian church, Seventh-day Adventists are a faith community rooted in the beliefs described by the Holy Scriptures. Adventists describe these beliefs in the following ways.
Fundamental Beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Seventh-day Adventists accept the Bible as their only creed and hold certain fundamental beliefs to be the teaching of the Holy Scriptures. These beliefs, as set forth here, constitute the church's understanding and expression of the teaching of Scripture.